They Came For The Emerson Avenger Again Today. . .

This blog post is a follow-up to a comment or two that I posted to the 'May I see your papers?' post of Rev. Cynthia Landrum's Rev. Cyn blog several days ago.

Well the Montreal police force came for the dreaded Emerson Avenger again today, and they came in force. . . No less than three police vehicles and half a dozen police officers were involved, and there may have been four or five police cars involved all told from start to finish which took all of about ten minutes or so. . .

One Petrina Lee Poy of the Unitarian Church of Montreal had called the police and, if I am to believe what one of the officers told me, had told the police that I was yelling at people as they entered the Unitarian Church of Montreal. "Crier" was the exact word that the police officer used, which is French for "shouting" or "yelling". The only problem is that it is extremely rare for me to raise my voice above a conversational level when I say a thing or two to Montreal Unitarians as they pass me on their way into "church" and, to the best of my recollection, I had said very little at all before Petrina Lee Poy called the police. I certainly had not shouted at anyone nor had I said a single word to Petrina Lee Poy herself. So why Petrina saw fit to call the Montreal police department to report to them that I was "shouting" or "yelling" at people coming to church is a Big Fat U*U Question that I believe needs to be answered. Surely the person or persons who I was allegedly shouting at should have been the one(s) to call the police.

No U*Us?

Unlike the three "cowboys" who showed up last Sunday, most if not all of the police officers I interacted with today acted reasonably professionally, even if they did possibly overstep the power and authority invested in them a bit. . . This is something that I will be attempting to determine in the coming days in discussions with legal advisers and police ethics advocates etc. I was not given a ticket for obstructing the sidewalk as the two "cowboys" had threatened a week ago and I certainly wasn't thrown into jail as those "cowboys" had also threatened last Sunday. The police officer(s) who I spoke with did assert that they *could* hit me with two or three tickets to the tune of over $400, for transgressing municipal bylaws, if I did not comply with their demands that I leave the "scene of the crime" as it were but, because I decided to comply with their demands, even if I found most of them to be quite questionable, no tickets were issued and I went on my merry way after having an interesting chat with the N.D.G. police. I might add that during that little chat I told the police that Montreal Unitarians have a bad habit of lying about my behavior in their deeply misguided efforts to force a permanent end to my peaceful public protest in front of the so-called Unitarian Church Of Montreal and that such lying amounted to calling in false alarms to the police.

The upshot of the whole discussion is that the N.D.G. police are insisting that I need to obtain a municipal permit in order to continue my peaceful public protest in front of the Unitarian Church of Montreal whereas I argued that, thanks to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, I did not believe that a permit was required for my protest. I told the police officers that this was the first time in about twelve years of protesting that police officers had stated that I required a permit to protest in front of the church. I guess all those numerous police officers who I spoke with over the last twelve years who never told me a permit was required must have been ignorant and incompetent or something for failing to responsibly inform me that a permit was required for my protest activities. . . I none-the-less undertook to look into the situation and, if necessary. . . obtain a permit or multiple permits for future protests in front of the alleged Unitarian Church of Montreal. Interestingly enough, in light of what happened last weekend, I had actually considered obtaining a permit for this week's protest just to wave it in the faces of the two "cowboys" if they had shown up again today, but decided that I had better things to do with my time. Still, if police insist that I obtain a permit for my protest I may well do just that even if it is not actually a legal requirement.

I will also most likely do what I warned Montreal Unitarians I would do if there was any further police harassment and questionable attempts by Montreal Unitarians to over-ride my constitutionally guaranteed right to engage in peaceful public protest in front of the Unitarian Church of Montreal.

And what might that be U*Us ask?

I suggest that U*U ask David Kersulis, current President of the Unitarian Church of Montreal, since he is the one who I warned way back in September of last year.

Here is his email address -

david.kersulis@ videotron.ca

AFA*I*AC what I intend to do to punish Montreal Unitarians for trying to force an end to my peaceful public protest in front of their "church" is perfectly legal and will prove to be highly embarrassing not only to the Unitarian Church of Montreal but to the whole U*U religious community. If Montreal Unitarians want to continue to play hardball with me I will play hard ball with them, and I may even throw a few curve balls their way. . .

On the whole I think that U*Us would be much better advised to throw in the proverbial towel, responsibly acknowledge the diverse injustices, abuses, and hypocrisies that they are clearly and unequivocally guilty of either directly perpetrating or indirectly perpetuating, and enter into meaningful dialogue with me towards the end of negotiating a genuinely just and equitable, if not compassionate, resolution to this lU*Udicrously drawn out conflict.

And yes, the N.D.G. police officers did ask to see my papers.

Well my driver's license at least.

Happens a lot on front of the Unitarian Church of Montreal on any given Sunday. . .

U*U'd swear I was an illegal immigrant or something.

Comments