Annotating The Madness Of Will Shetterly, "Less Than Famous" U*U Science Fiction Writer And U*U Blogger

My semi-declared U*Unilateral cease-fire aka cessation of hostilities applies only to the Unitarian*Universalist Association of Congregations aka the UUA in the interests of opening the way for some dialogue and diplomacy with UUA leaders towards the end of bringing a genuinely just and equitable, if not compassionate, conclusion to the War of The U*U World aka World War U*U. It does not apply to U*Us outside the purview of the UUA in the greater U*U World. It does not apply to the Montreal Unitarian U*Us at the Unitarian Church of Montreal or any other U*Us who are not very much under the umbrella of the UUA. It does not apply to other individual U*Us or U*U groups elsewhere in the U*U World. For example, and just one example, my U*Unilateral ceasefire does not apply to German Unitarian U*Us who are or were leaders of the Deutsche Unitarier Religionsgemeinschaft e.V. (DUR) and have been publicly accused of being former SS officers, some allegedly convicted of war crimes, and post WWII neo-Nazi ideologues by German anti-fascist and anti-racist groups. I will post the details of the basic terms of my U*Unilateral ceasefire so that U*Us can better understand them a bit later in a brand-spanking new The Emerson Avenger blog post but, for now, I just want to make it clear that my U*Unilateral ceasefire does not apply to individual U*U lay people who give me good reason to rake them over coals of their own making a little bit. More specifically it does not apply to "less than famous" U*Unitarian science fiction writer and blogger Will Shetterly.

Here are the legitimate critical comments that he "memory holed" this morning around 8:15 am WSM time -


Robin Edgar said...

:Maybe I should say nothing. Engage with the mad, and you look mad.

Oh be a sport Will. What is wrong with looking a bit mad when engaging with the mad? I do it all the time, especially in light of having been repeatedly slandered as "mad", as in "crazy" "psychotic" "nutcase", by foolish people who are mad in pretty much every sense of the word. . . Go ahead and "engage" Will. Trust me. It can be boatloads of fun! :-)

:But the whole thing is bizarrely dishonest: Micole ([info]coffeeandink) has taken random posts and comments out of context to distort my meaning.

If so she sounds like some of the *mad* U*Us I know.

:It's kind of flattering, I suppose, but it's also dancing at the edge of slander and may be crossing it.

Needless to say Will I feel your pain here. Almost literally. . .

:I can't correct the record at that site, because she banned me.

Say no more. Say no more. Nudge. nudge. Wink. Wink. . . It's just a tad annoying not being able to respond to slander and defamation or other forms of character assassination because those who *engage* in it ALSO have the power to prevent you from clearing your name by censoring and suppressing your defense isn't it Will?

Speaking of which I seem to recall you recently closing comment on a post where you appear to have slandered me. . . I am by no means a lover of real honest to God bullets and bombs war and conquest Will even if I do have a bit of fun engaging in some satirical broadsides etc.


R Hayes said...

A big problem with the notion that a person's experience can only be understood from the inside is that it leaves no hope. Or does that limitation only apply to "race"?

A separate question is, who can tell the story? Part of the mechanism of oppression is to suppress the story of the oppressed; but who can tell that story?


Robin Edgar said...

Come to think of it Will. Your thinly veiled suggestion that I am someone who loves "conquest and slaughter" on your today's Israel thought blog post of less than a week ago comes across as an ad hominem attack on me that makes false accusations about me, to say nothing of weird personal assumptions about someone who disagreed with you on some points. Like many of the U*Us I know you do shift ground when cornered and do not respond to logic at times. I can't say that I have seen you say anything that sounds like it came from a "total racist" but maybe that is because I only pay attention to what you say here. Far from being "bizarrely dishonest" Micole (coffeeandink) seems to have hit the nail on the head a few times. Personally I don't have any qualms about engaging with you because, as I just pointed out, it can be boatloads of fun engaging with the *mad*. :-)


Robin Edgar said...

"Part of the mechanism of oppression is to suppress the story of the oppressed; but who can tell that story?"

Very well said R. Hayes.

I tell that story quite regularly because, try as they might to suppress my story in forums they have control over, Unitarian*Universalists so far have been unable to prevent me from telling my story of Unitarian*Universalist oppression of me and other people in areas that they have little or no control over. I hope you don't mind if I plagU*Urize your excellent quote and put it to good U*Use with the U*U oppressors I know. I will of course provide credit where credit is due unlike U*U plagU*Urists. . .


Robin Edgar said...

Honestly R. Hayes. That apparently quite unique and original quote of yours is worthy of being included in Bartelby's and other books of quotations. Allow me to help you along with that. ;-)


Robin Edgar said...

Needless to say I look forward to seeing whether or not Will Shetterly will attempt to suppress the story of the oppressed as he and other U*U bloggers have done so many times in the past. . .


Needless to say. . . Will Shetterly did in fact attempt to suppress the story of the oppressed as he and other U*U bloggers have done so many times in the past.
Here is the follow-up comment that I was in the process of writing when Will Shetterly dumped everything I wrote above into his big fat U*U "memory hole".

Robin Edgar said...

:ABW claims "Blacks and other minorities cannot be racist because they do not have insitutional, systemic power." I disagreed then and now.

As do I Will. We are very much on agreement on this particular point. In fact *I* believe that you do not need to have "institutional, systemic power" to be something of an oppressor either for that matter. . .

And here is Will Shetterly's all too typically U*U lame excuse for "memory holing" my legitimate critical comments that were very much on-topic to the subject matter and overall theme of his 'Annotating Madness' blog post -
Will Shetterly said...

Robin Edgar, the Emerson Avenger, is the house troll. I've deleted seven of his comments and will delete any more that he posts in this thread. Use the link in the trackback to learn more about his concerns.

Anyone wondering just what alleged "madness" U*U blogger Will Shetterly is "whining" about on his 'Annotating Madness' blog post should read what LiveJournal blogger Micole ([info]coffeeandink) said in her Will Shetterly: DO NOT ENGAGE blog post. I cannot accuse Will Shetterly of being a "total racist" based on my own reading of his blog posts but I can certainly affirm that, like too many of the other U*Unitarians I have the misfortune to know, and not just U*U bloggers by any means, "less than famous" U*Unitarian Will Shetterly does make ad hominem attacks, does make false accusations, does make straw-man arguments, does make weird personal assumptions about people who disagree with him, does shift ground (or just plain "memory hole" comments) when cornered, and does not respond to logic aka "good old Unitarian Reason". . .

Comments