Keith Olbermann Disses Unitarian*Universalism On Countdown

For some time now U*U bloggers have been speculating about whether or not MSNBC news anchor and commentator Keith Olbermann is a Unitarian*Universalist. Well I guess it's now "official" that, once upon a time, Keith Olbermann was a Unitarian*Universalist aka U*U since he pretty much "came out" as being "raised in" Unitarian*Universalism on his Countdown With Keith Olbermann show on June 24th. Today's edition of Unitarian Universalists in the Media on the UU World magazine blog says -

'Countdown' host's Unitarian roots

Keith Olbermann, the host of MSNBC's "Countdown," exposed his Unitarian roots during an interview with actors Jason Bateman and David Cross. At about the 4:19 mark the two actors joked that they were planning to wed at a Unitarian church in California, and Olbermann, long rumored to be a UU, replied: "Oh, good! I was raised in that faith. So there's just a lot of political talk, there's no actual religion involved. OK, that's going to get me in trouble with my ancestors." (Countdown - 6.24.08)

end quote

In fact Keith Olbermann's impromptu announcement that he was "raised in" the Unitarian "faith" comes a few seconds later at the 4:27 - 4:28 mark after David Cross jokingly suggests that he and Jason Bateman will be getting married in a Unitarian Church. The official MSNBC transcript of this Countdown show pretty much matches the quote provided on the UU World blog - OLBERMANN: Good, I was raised in that faith. So there‘s just a lot of political talk, no actually religion involved. OK, that‘s going to get me in trouble with my ancestors.

If one views the video however Keith Olbermann actually said - Oh good! That's. . . I was raised in that faith. So everybody. . . So there‘s just a lot of political talk, no actual religion involved. OK, that‘s going to get me in trouble with my ancestors.

Keith Olbermann clearly began to say something about "everybody" prior to saying,

"So there‘s just a lot of political talk, no actual religion involved."

but apparently thought the better of it and held his tongue. I guess we will never know just what Keith was going to say about "everybody", he may have already forgotten himself by now, but. . . considering what Olbermann said immediately after biting his tongue it seems unlikely that it would have been all that flattering of Unitarian*Universalism. Keith Olbermann's succinct if not terse "elevator speech" about Unitarian*Universalism that was broadcast to millions of Americans on 'Countdown' propagates and reinforces the quite universal stereotype that portrays Unitarian*Universalism as being more about left-wing politics than a bona fide religion. Indeed, in asserting that there is "no actual religion involved" in the Unitarian*Universalist "faith" that he was "raised in", Keith Olbermann may have single-handedly dissuaded a good number of Americans from visiting or joining a "Unitarian Church" any time soon.

Comments

Dear Avenger,

That could very well be his experience as a one time UU. In my church, politics have eclipsed
the religious. Instead of declaring Olbermann as "worse person" in the UU world, we need to look inside. Although not true of every church, enough are primarily political that this negative stereorotype is valid.

Perhaps we could win back Keith and others if more of our churches put the religious ahead of the secular. If that were the case, I think we could be more effective change agents in our broken world.

It is my opinion, Keith's sermons sometimes in the form of "special comments" express many of our UU principles better than a lot of our clergy. At times, I am so uninspired by wishy washy messages that try to please or not offend that end up pleasing no one. As UU's we need to focus on message and product.

I said more than intended. Thanks for listening to my rant.
Robin Edgar said…
:That could very well be his experience as a one time UU.

I don't doubt for one second that Keith Olbermann was speaking from direct personal experience of U*Uism, after all he clearly said that he was "raised in" the Unitarian "faith".

:In my church, politics have eclipsed the religious.

I don't doubt you either Our Lady of the Chalice. From what I can see politics have eclipsed the religious in numerous U*U "churches". I look forward to the day when the religious will eclipse politics in U*U "churches".

:Instead of declaring Olbermann as "worse person" in the UU world,

Actually I didn't do that. For starters It is cleat that Keith Olbermann is now outside of the U*U World. It would seem that he is an ex-Unitarian*Universalist aka an X-U*U, perhaps precisely because politics eclipsed religion in his Unitarian "church" to the point that there was "no actual religion involved". . . Personally I am gratified that Keith Olbermann spontaneously shared his rather unflattering testimony about Unitarian*Universalism with millions of Americans. His testimony validates one of my criticisms of the current state of the U*U World. In my books Keith Olbermann is a "good person" although he may indeed be in trouble with some of his ancestors and other U*Us who would preferred that he had not shared his concerns about U*Uism on Countdown.

:we need to look inside.

I have been telling U*Us that they need to look inside for over a decade now. That is what this blog is all about. I think some of them are starting to get the message but they really should have listened to me years ago. . .

:Although not true of every church, enough are primarily political that this negative stereotype is valid.

I agree 100% Out Lady of the Chalice. That is precisely why I blogged about Keith Olbermann's succinct "elevator speech" about Unitarian*Universalism.

:Perhaps we could win back Keith and others if more of our churches put the religious ahead of the secular.

I have been saying that kind of thing for years now. That is what this blog post is about. Thanks for your validation of what I have been saying for the last decade or so.

:If that were the case, I think we could be more effective change agents in our broken world.

One would certainly hope so. . . Rev. Peter Morales seems to think pretty much the same thing but I have yet to see him directly address the anti-religious intolerance and bigotry of the Atheist Supremacist faction of "Humanist" U*Us that makes too many U*U "churches" anything but welcoming congregations to God believing people.

:It is my opinion, Keith's sermons sometimes in the form of "special comments" express many of our UU principles better than a lot of our clergy.

I agree. Keith can be seen as a small 'p' prophet in various ways. It is my hope that U*Us will pay some appropriate attention to his recent terse "prophecy" about U*Uism and take heed of his warning.

:At times, I am so uninspired by wishy washy messages that try to please or not offend that end up pleasing no one. As UU's we need to focus on message and product.

And integrity. . .

:I said more than intended. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Anytime Our Lady of the Chalice. This blog's for you and other disaffected U*Us to rant on to your heart's content. ;-) I welcome comments from U*Us that validate my criticism and dissent. I would remind you however that it would be preferable if people posted under their real names or at least a pseudonym that is linked to a real name. Of course I do understand that you might catch some "flack" from some of your fellow U*Us if you do so.
When I was in Montreal last year I was part of a solar eclipse, and I have to admit since then I stayed intrigued of how they happen.