A Typo Is A Typo Is A Typo? Maybe Not. . .

For some time now I have been somewhat perturbed by the number of typographical errors in my comments made here and on other blogs. There is no question that I do make some typographical errors and unwitting spelling mistakes but at times it seemed that typographical errors were posted that I had not actually made. i.e. I was quite certain that I had spelled the word correctly before posting it. Usually these typographical errors took the form of an additional letter or two inserted in the word. In that I was quite certain that I had spelled the words correctly I wondered if the computer I was using, or Blogger's software, had some kind of glitch in it that caused the occasional insertion of additional letters to words posted to the internet.

It now looks like I probably had some "reasonable grounds" for that belief. . . Earlier this morning I noticed that the URL for the post below titled 'U*U COP Gets An Earful From A Real Cop. . .' had a typographical error of a nature similar to that previously described. i.e. an additional letter or two in the word.

http://emersonavenger.blogspot.com/2008/02/uu-cop-gets-abn-earfukl.html

At first I only noticed that the word "earful" was spelled as "earfukl" but I then noticed that the word "an" was spelled "abn". I was quite certain that I had spelled the title of the blog post correctly and sure enough it was indeed spelled correctly. So somehow, even though I clearly wrote 'U*U COP Gets An Earful From A Real Cop. . .', Blogger's automatically generated URL, that includes the first five or so words of the blog post title, contained two typographical errors that I did not actually make myself. . . I am not sure what the cause of these automatically generated typographical errors is but I am happy to learn that I am not quite as dyslexic as I might appear to be as a result of these typographical errors that may now be attributed to the proverbial "ghost in the machine" as it were.

Has anyone else noticed similar automatically typographical errors that they are quite certain that they are not actually responsible for? Some of these typos might be potentially embarrassing such as the "earfukl" typo in the URL that thankfully is not in the actual title of the blog post. Not that U*U COP didn't get something of a well deserved "earfukl" when, in his chosen fate as a Totalitarian Unitarian "Citizens' Police Officer", he called in yet another Unitarian*Universalist U*U BS complaint about my legitimate peaceful public protest against various U*U injustices, abuses and hypocrisy in front of the Unitarian Church of Montreal on Saturday, September 29th, 2007.

Comments

Joel Monka said…
I had something very similar happen to me. You'll notice that the extra letters are the ones immediately to the left of the letter you actually typed- sometimes something can get stuck under a key such that it pulls one down next to it. It can also get worn such that the key no longer goes straight down, but slightly to one side, again pulling the next key down- I wound up replacing a keyboard a year ago because of that fault.
Robin Edgar said…
I considered that the keyboard might be largely responsible but that does not account for why the text submitted turns out fine in the blog title but has two typos in the URL. . .
James Andrix said…
Best guess:
I have known blogger to keep URL's when post data chenges. Try setting the post date to a different month/day so that the date-in url should change, posting, then changing it back and posting again.
This is assuming you fixed the errors after you/blogger had saved some initial version.
Robin Edgar said…
OK So I guess what you are saying here James is that Blogger will save and keep URL data even before the blog post has actually been submitted, and will not correct the URL data even if the blog title text is corrected before uploading the post to the internet. I suppose that is a possibility but if I believed that I had originally typed in the blog post title as 'U*U COP Gets Abn Earfukl From A Real Cop. . .' and later corrected it I would not have made this post out apparently automatically generated typos. I have on some rare occasions resubmitted a few blog posts because the automatically generated URL did not come properly but this was either because the formatting did not work as expected ot because the URL, as I had typed it and submitted it, needed some correction or improvement. For instance if a blog post has Unitarian*Universalist in the title the automatically generated URL will read unitarianuniversalist rather than unitarian-universalist. I corrected that problem by resubmitting the blog post with the title not including the asterisk and then added the asterisk later.

You might want to run a Google search on Edict of Turda to see an example of a recent TEA blog post that was resubmitted with a new and improved title very soon after it was originally submitted in order to create a new and improved URL that would increase the chances of people finding that particular blog post. If U*Us wonder about my online verbosity it has a lot to do with loading URLs and blog posts with appropriate keywords to ensure that they receive a high ranking in Google for those key words. U*Us can be sure that I am very careful about not submitting URLs that contain typographical errors. OTOH One of the reasons that I usually do not bother correcting typos and spelling errors too much is because I know that people sometimes submit searches that contain typographical errors and spelling mistakes of various kinds so leaving a few typos and spelling errors in one's blog posts actually increases the number of people who will find them. . .

I learned a lot about search engine optimization aka SEO from my eclipse lore web sites. I was able to ensure that they had very high rankings in Google and other search engines. In fact most of them had No. 1 positions in Google for appropraite keyword searches. Be assured that my posts to The Emerson Avenger blog are written in such a way as to ensure high ranking in Google. One of the nice things about Blogger is that it automatically, and pretty much immediately, submits blog posts to the Google search engine. The only disadvantage to that is if one submits a post with errors in it, or in need of some SEO tweaking, as was the case with my Edict of Torda post yesterday which omitted the alternative spelling Edict of Turda. . . In all other ways it is a significant bonus to using Google Blogger for one's blogging activities. U*Us might be surprised at just how high Emerson Avenger blog posts rank in Google's search results for certain keywords. You and other U*Us might want to run a Google search on Peter Morales for UUA President to see just how well The Emerson Avenger is doing in Google. There is a whole year or more in front of us of U*Us who will be running that Google search or something similar to it. Works nicely for Rev. Laurel Hallman too. . . ;-)
James Andrix said…
I would not have made this post out apparently automatically generated typos.

So you still think this is blogger's fault?
Robin Edgar said…
I am not sure if Blogger's software is causing the typos, which usually consist of extra letters inserted in the word much like those created by slipping keys, or if it is other software or hardware.